JANA’s extensive research programme forms the foundation for our advice on investment policy, strategic and dynamic asset allocation, asset class structures and manager selection for each client’s portfolio. Research is conducted both from a bottom-up perspective (through asset class research) and a top-down perspective (through portfolio construction analysis and research).
Our investment professionals research into capital markets provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental drivers of returns and risks from macro, asset class and sector perspectives. We have qualified economists on staff and our Capital Markets Group is responsible for researching and understanding current economic developments, both globally and domestically.
Our intensive investment manager research is a key differentiating factor. Our asset class research teams conduct their own research face-to-face with investment managers in their offices all around the world. We do not rely on advice prepared by distant partners or associates.
JANA’s research provides clients with a huge range of benefits including:
- Unconflicted advice – As a majority employee-owned firm, we drive our own research agenda. This is determined by what is in the best interests of our clients and their objectives, allowing us to exercise our own standards and quality controls. Our advice is completely independent, and we do not provide services to investment managers or receive payments of any variety from them. Unconflicted advice is a key point of difference and we couldn’t be prouder of the fact.
- Dynamic and flexible – We are able to adapt to market dynamics and our independence provides us with the flexibility to focus our research in areas we see as holding the best forward-looking opportunities for our clients.
- Depth of manager and capital markets research – JANA conducts all its manager and capital markets research itself, which is a significant differentiating factor relative to other consultants. This enables us to identify new high-quality managers and new ‘best ideas’ early and, by introducing the managers to our clients, give our clients an ‘early mover’ advantage.
- Global insights – We do not rely on overseas offices or affiliates. Instead, our own investment professionals travel offshore, providing us with invaluable ‘on the ground’ insights. JANA conducts over 20 global research trips annually involving more than 40 staff, with over 3,000 manager meetings both domestically and offshore.
- Deeper relationships – We seek to foster long-term partnerships between clients and investment managers. In some cases, these relationships span over decades, allowing us to build trust with the managers and their personnel. This enables us to evaluate them over time according to our criteria rather than those of a third party, whilst allowing us to contribute to the development of innovative solutions for our clients.
- Breadth of client experience – JANA advises a wide range of investors including superannuation funds; long service leave funds, life, health and general insurance firms; universities, foundations, endowments and charitable trusts; government entities; and corporate clients.
Most of our consultants have dual research and client responsibilities, and some consultants are a member of more than one research team. This fosters collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas and insights.
JANA’s research teams are organised as follows: